Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Parenting 101

I think this a pretty basic concept - when your kid does something wrong, do your best to discourage them from doing it again. It seems so simple, but what about when they do something so hilarious that you can't stop laughing? For example the other day I walked into Jaden's room where he has been playing by himself for literally a minute and a half to find him stripped of all clothes and sitting on top of his headboard. Now I know that in this situation he wasn't doing anything too wrong, but I really don't want to encourage him to strip down at any given point in the day, and he isn't suppose to climb on the headboard.
Unfortunately for me it struck my funny bone and rather than tell him with a straight face to get down I laughed for awhile and told him to sit still while I fetched the camera. A teaching opportunity lost, but a great memory caught on film.

7 comments:

ronandlindahatfield said...

That's hilarious! I wonder what he was thinking? Looks like Jaden got a hair cut -- cute!

Chad and Amy Hatfield said...

I think that boys at this age are a little curious about body parts. Jackson loves to talk about/examine his at every opportunity. I'm dreading the teenage years!

Heather said...

I have a girl student who will come out of the bathrooms with her pants down sometimes. Who knows what they are thinking!

Anonymous said...

It must be the age. Halle comes in everyday to me and exclaims, "Ta-da! No shirt mom!", while proudly exibiting her nakedness. At least you're still laughing! I'm so past the laughing point...

Danielle and Derek said...

Spencer's comment: "That's FUNNY!"
Meagan's comment: "Funny, but I would never do it."

Loni said...

Hilarious! Keeping stern and straight faced isn't always that easy.

Chad Hatfield said...

Like father, like son.